Wednesday, August 27, 2014

3 Epic Semi-Healthy Cocktail Recipes

I've recently finished about a month of studying, "researching," and practicing for my bartending school's final exam and just let me say, "Wow. There's a lot of cocktails out there."

I'm a social butterfly and many of my friends like to drink so I've spent quite a lot of time in bars and even I was blown away at the sheer volume of drink lists. Over the last month, I've gotten to try a lot of these. After a while, patterns started to emerge, flavor combinations identified, and I made a few awesome discoveries and inventions.

Check out some of the highlights of this adventure in mixology:

#1 A Song of Fire (Firesong)

Highball glass over ice
2 oz Fireball
Fill with club soda

This is a stupid easy invention I made with a friend. It retains that delicious spicy Fireball flavor that took fraternities by storm, but cuts through the syrupy sweet with club soda, which is essentially carbonated water. After this, straight Fireball just tastes like concentrate. If you don't like Fireball, you will like the next two.







#2 Presbyterian (Press)

Highball glass, ice
1 oz bourbon
Splash of ginger beer/ale
Fill with club soda

Many people find that whisky and ginger are natural complements to one another. The flavors are bold and exotic, even when cut with club soda.









#3 Bocci Ball

Highball glass, ice

0.5 oz vodka
1 oz amaretto
Splash of fresh orange juice
Fill with club soda


Many drinks take advantage of the almond-orange flavor combo, because it's magic. Last night, I even marinated a pork tenderloin in amaretto and orange juice and it was to die for. In this recipe, spike the drink a bit to make up for the small amount of alcohol in the amaretto.